Gopaldas Saxena ‘Neeraj’, (popularly known as Niraj or Neeraj), born in 1925 in Etawah, Uttar Pradesh, India, is among the best-known poets and authors in Hindi literature. He is also a famous poet of Hindi Kavi Sammelan. He was born in the small village Ekdil of Etawah in Uttar Pradesh, India on 4 January 1924. He wrote under the pen name “Neeraj”. His style is considered easy to understand, but has also been compared with high quality Hindi literature. He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 2007. Recently he recited some of his works at North India’s premier annual cultural festival, Spoculit 2012.
Besides writing, he earned his living teaching in a college and was a Professor of Hindi Literature in Dharma Samaj College, Aligarh. Several of his poems and songs have been used in Hindi movies and are considered famous. He wrote songs for several Hindi Movies and attained a unique position as a songwriter who wrote with equal facility in both pure Hindi as well as Urdu as opposed to Hindi-Urdu mix, which is increasingly becoming more common. But as per the needs and requirements of the Hindi Film Industry, the majority of his songs are nonetheless, in mixed but chaste Hindi-Urdu languages.
Some of his popular poems, also used in Bollywood are as follows.
- Dhiire se jaanaa khaTiyan me.n o khaTamal
- Dil aaj shaayar hai
- Jiivan kii bagiyaa mahakegii
- Maine kasam lii
- Meghaa chhaae aadhii raat, bairan ban gai ni.ndiyaa
- Mera man tera pyaasa…..
- merii o merii o meri sharmiilii aao naa tarasao naa…
- Phoolon ke rang se, dil kee kalam se…
- Rangeela re, Rangeela re, mere man me yoon ranga hai tera mann…
- Raadhaa ne maalaa japi shyaam kii
- Karawan Guzar gaya, ghubar daykhtay rahay
- Khilte hain gul yahaan, khile ke bikharne ko
Just follow the links to read all the poems by Gopaldas Saxena ‘Neeraj’