Gulab Khandelwal is an Indian poet born in the town of Navalgarh, Rajasthan (India) on 21 February 1924. He has written poetry in different forms such as Lyrics, Sonnets, Rubais (Quatrains), Dohas (Couplets), Odes, Elegies, Lyrical Ballads, Epics, Poetic Dramas, Ghazals, Masnavi,etc. with equal felicity. He has even introduced some of these forms into Hindi Literature and apart from Hindi, has also written poetry in Urdu and English. The span of his poetic language touches upon Sanskrit on one end and Urdu on the other.
He started writing poetry at an early age. His first volume of poems was published in 1941 with preface by the famous poet Suryakant Tripathi ‘Nirala’. Since then, more than 50 volumes of his poems and 2 dramatic works in prose have been published, some of which have been digitized by the Digital Library of India. Six of his books have received awards from the Uttar Pradesh government and one has received an award from the Bihar government.
He has translated some of his poems in English in Gulab Khandelwal: Selected Poems, which was published in 1986 with preface by Dr. Karan Singh, ex-Prince of Kashmir. He has been the president of Archana a literary society of Kolkata founded in the fifties and has presided over many events organized by literary organizations, such as Archana He has worked extensively with other Hindi poets.
Some of his books were presented awards by Hindi Sansthan (U.P. Government), as follows
- Usha – by U.P. Government in 1967
- Roop Ki Dhoop – by U.P. Government in 1971
- Sau Gulab Khile – by U.P. Government in 1975
- Kuchh Aur Gulab – by U.P. Government in 1980
- Ahalya – Vishisht Puraskar by U.P. Government in 1980
- Har Subah Ek Taza Gulab – Nirala Puraskar by U.P. Government in 1989
- Adhunik Kavi-19 – Akhil Bharatiya Granth Puraskar by Bihar Government
- Ahalya – Akhil Bharatiya Rambhakti Puraskar by Hanuman Mandir Trust, Kolkata, 1984
Just follow the links to read all the poems by Gulab Khandelwal