Harivansh Rai Shrivastav alias Bachchan (Hindi: हरिवंश राय बच्चन) (27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003) was a noted Indian poet of Chhayavaad literary movement (romantic upsurge) of early 20th century Hindi literature. Born in a Srivastava Kayastha family, in the village of Babupatti (Raniganj) in the district of Pratapgarh, he was also a famous poet of the Hindi Kavi Sammelan. He is best known for his early work Madhushala (मधुशाला). He is also the father of the noted Hindi film actor, Amitabh Bachchan. In 1976, he was honored with the Padma Bhushan for his immense contribution to Hindi literature.
Born in a Kayastha family, in Allahabad while his ancestors belonged to the village of Babupatti (Raniganj) in the district of Pratapgarh, U.P. near Allahabad in the United Provinces (modern Uttar Pradesh) he was the eldest son of Pratap Narayan Shrivastav and Saraswati Devi. He was called bachchan (meaning Kid at home). He received his formal schooling in a municipal school and followed the family tradition of attending Kayastha Paathshaalas (कायस्थ पाठशाला) to learn Urdu as the first step to a career in law. He later studied at the Allahabad University and Banaras Hindu University. In this period, he came under the influence of the independence movement, then under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi.
Bachchan died on January 18, 2003, at the age of 96, as a result of various respiratory ailments. Some of his famous creations are as follows.
- Tera Haar (तेरा हार) (1932)
- Madhushala (मधुशाला) (1935)
- Madhubala (मधुबाला) (1936)
- Madhukalash (मधुकलश) (1937)
- Nisha Nimantran (निशा निमंत्रण) (1938)
- Ekaant Sangeet (एकांत संगीत) (1939)
- Aakul Antar (आकुल अंतर) (1943)
- Satarangini (सतरंगिनी) (1945)
- Halaahal (हलाहल) (1946)
- Bengal ka Kaavya (बंगाल का काव्य) (1946)
- Kaadi ke Phool (खादी के फूल) (1948)
- Soot ki Maala (सूत की माला) (1948)
- Milan Yamini (मिलन यामिनी) (1950)
- Pranay Patrika (प्रणय पत्रिका) (1955)
Just follow the links to read all the poems by Harivansh Rai Bachchan